Moon Harvesting POSQ - What is the purpose of Moon mining?
A - The minerals harvested from moons are used eventually to make Tech II components.
Q - What do you mean eventually?
A - Minerals that are harvested go through 3 processes before they become Tech II components
- Moon minerals are fused together in a reactor to make simple reactions
- Simple reactions are fused together again in another reaction to make advanced reactions
- The Advance reactions are built in a normal factory to make the
Q - So what do I need to mine moons?
A - A POS, more specifically a control tower, harvester(s), silo(s) and maybe something to defend itself (guns).
Q - How do I find out if a moon is going to give me minerals?
A - You probe them, see the video link below for moon probing tutorial.
Q - Why use Coupling Arrays?
A - The only reason to use coupling arrays when harvesting is so you don't lose a cycle when you offline the silos to empty them.
Q - What's the difference between a Tech I and Tech II harvester?
A - A Tech II harvester mines 200 units per cycle against the tech I version which mines 100 units per cycle. To mine 200 you need a moon with a mineral of abundance 2+.
Q - Can I online the harvester and silo and then set the mineral to harvest?
A - NO you cannot set the harvester type when the harvester is online, the option on the control manage screen to set mineral type is not present when it's online.
Q - Can I mine moons in high sec?
A - No moon harvesters will only anchor in 0.3 and below sectors so it's not possible to moon mine in high sec. Tech II Moon harvesters will only anchor in 0.2 and below.
Sequence of events
- Probe moons until you find one in 0.3 or lower that you want to harvest
- Anchor, fuel and online a control tower
- Anchor (DO NOT ONLINE) a harvester and a silo
- Set the types on the harvester and silo to the required moon mineral through the Control tower manage screen (see video)
- Online silo then harvester
- Wait upto 2 hours before you get anything
POS Harvester set up tutorial/video