Ship - you can use any ship to explore in so long as it has the CPU and power to run the probe launcher, it is advantageuos to use a covert ops ship since it gives a bonus to scanning strength.
Probe launcher - there are just 2 launchers now after the Apocrypha expansion.
- Core Probe Launcher - can only launch exploration type probes (IE Core Probes) - requires 15 CPU and 1MW Powergrid
- Expanded Core Probe launcher - can launch probes to find ships, drones and structures - requires 220 CPU and 1MW Powergrid
- Combat Scanner Probe - needs an expanded core probe launcher - used to scan for player ships
- Core Scanner Probe - - used to scan exploration sites
- Deep Space Scanner Probe - launched from an Expanded Core probe Launcher - scans entire solarsystems and finds everything
Exploration/Probing Skills (updated for Apocrypha)
|Astrometrics||Skill at operating long range scanners. Allows +1 probe per level in space starting with 4 at level 1||Science L3|
|Astrometric Pinpointing||Greater accuracy in hunting down targets found through scanning. Reduces maximum scan deviation by 10% per level.||Astrometrics 4
||Skill at the advanced operation of long range scanners. 10% reduction in scan probe scan time per level.||Astrometrics 3
|Skill for the advanced operation of long range scanners. 10% increase to scan probe strength per level||Science 3|
The higher the above skills then the better you will be at exploration and probing in general.